2008-07-14

Ten years of personal computing

Exactly 10 years ago on this day, my sister and I got our first personal computer, which we were told to share. It cost our parents 5100 Lt ($1275) and had the following specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium II (233MHz)
Memory: 32MB
HDD: 4GB
Video: S3 4MB (? - don't remember)
Optical drive: Samsung 24x CD-ROM drive
Monitor: Samsung 15" CRT
OS: Windows 95

It worked pretty well for a couple of years, was updated and upgraded several times, and inevitably was replaced for a faster one. [L]

2 comments:

Genadij Trimailov said...

- 16k video ram
- 48k physical ram
- built in Basic compiler
- tape recorder

That was my first personal computer. I even did the titles for the videos we filmed during the school years.
www.zxspectrum.net

Levon Levonian said...

Yes, I know, those were the times! Memory was counted in kilobytes! I had Atari (although that was a purely game console, not like ZX Spectrum). By saying "personal computer" I meant a true PC, of course :) Around 1998 most of my friends got their first PCs.